Friday, September 7, 2012

1911 Magazine Pouch

When your pistol runs out of ammunition,  priority one is always to reload. (Duh.) I've found that there is a plethora of gear manufacturers who make and sell pistol magazine pouches, but none who make exactly what I wanted.

My 1911A1 is (would be) my primary weapon.  I have five magazines altogether, and a handy plate carrier that clips conveniently onto my backpack (we'll get into that later).  All I need is a four-bay mag pouch that I can grab and pull a mag from easily, without the risk of it falling out by itself.  I found the answer in "rare earth" neodymium magnets. ( I know that Tactical Tailor already makes a magnetic universal pistol magazine pouch, but in my experience,  "universal" pouches don't fit 1911 mags terribly well.)  In my design, the magnets are placed under a panel, inside the pouch, and closer to the body/armor, as opposed to the outside of the pouch (TacTailor's).

I used Cordura nylon webbing for a majority of the pouch, the back being recycled from an aging 5.56 mag pouch.  Please excuse the fine thread, it was all I had to play with at the time.







These are the two surviving single-mag prototypes (I like how the tri-tone webbing looks on these)


 

6 Comments:

At September 8, 2013 at 5:26 PM , Blogger bfmalone81 said...

Did you make the straps with the push button snap? If so what material is sandwiched between the webbing? Looks like very this kydex

 
At September 13, 2013 at 11:10 AM , Blogger Kayakmaxx said...

I harvested the button snap straps from some other tac-gear. It is kydex though. I've found it not completely necessary to use snaps, but its good to have a little extra length on the straps to weave into the MOLLE, and the snaps add a little extra thickness to keep it in place.

 
At November 26, 2016 at 5:52 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Looks pretty good to me, got any for sale?

 
At November 24, 2018 at 5:58 AM , Blogger Jack said...

Thank you for your information its looks very good.

Please write on Tactical Molle Backpacks

 
At November 3, 2020 at 9:30 PM , Blogger MikeG said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At November 3, 2020 at 9:31 PM , Blogger MikeG said...

Max I"m interested if you have one for sale. your design is prefect for what I need, flat vs stacked. thx

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home